Monday, February 23, 2009

I've Got the Basketball Jones


I should have taken the passing of Larry H. Miller (owner of the Utah Jazz) on Friday as a sign of bad things to come for me in relation to basketball. I have always been a huge Jazz fan so his passing was sad because he had done so much for that team. Little did I know it was also a bad omen.

On Saturday i went and played some basketball with a couple of buddies. Everything was going fine and i was having a lot of fun until I went up for a rebound and came right down on another person's foot. Next thing I know I heard two loud pops and my ankle was in extreme pain. My first thought was, "Oh crap! Mom is going to kill me?" Why was that my first thought. Well about two weeks ago I told my mom that I wanted to file as an independent for my taxes and she was against this because I would have to be taken off their insurance, and if anything were to happen I would be screwed. Luckily though i just sprained my ankle and it didn't break so a trip to the hospital wasn't necessary. So even with the forces of Karma working against me I have come out on top!

Also on a more of a down note BYU lost a huge game to UNLV. BYU's chances to get into the tournament took a big hit Saturday night. I don't think that i am really all that mad that we lost on Saturday, but just overall that we can't step up for big games. For some reason, or another, anytime we have a "must win" situation our key players (namely Cummard and Fredette) seem to disappear. I think a huge problem that BYU has is the lack of athleticism. Every great team has someone who can take over a game and create his own shots by beating their guy off of the dribble. And BYU just doesn't have that. If you watched the last ten minutes of the game UNLV's Wink Adams took over and dominated. He got into the lane, shot the ball from the outside, and got to the free throw line and killed BYU. This is what we are missing. As great as Cummard is he is not the type of player that will beat his opponent off the dribble and get into the lane. Also most of his shots come from beating his opponent off of screens. Well there was just one problem. UNLV kept switching on the screens so Cummard couldn't get the shot he was looking for all night. All in all it was a very disappointing performance and once again proves that BYU can't step up in big game situations, which will be their doom if they make it into the tournament.

Anyway after this weekend i am thinking that i need to take break from basketball for awhile. Hopefully i will be able to recuperate quickly enough for my soccer game on Thursday!

6 comments:

  1. That looks so gross. It's also really annoying that you did this, you proved Mom right. Now, she can use this story against us forever when she gives us good advice and we don't want to listen to it. No offense Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ankle looks awful. You would be an idiot if you tried to play soccer on Thursday but then you don't listen to me anyway. It would have been sort of funny (but not) if you had broken it after our conversation about the importance of medical insurance a few weeks ago. Way to go Mr. Independent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Independent (you are funny Becky!) I have to agree with your mom, a soccer game on Thursday isn't a good idea. Cheer up though, you get to go see M C Hammer :) I have to say that I was very impressed with your analysis of the game. I have to agree with you, I don't know why they can't be a little braver!?!? Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a question...is MC Hammer still alive??

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Becky I hope for my sake that he is because he is coming to UVU tomorrow to perform and I have to work. It probably would be just as good if they set up a dead corpse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I for one am glad you started a blog and if it hadn't been for your good old "grammy" mom I wouldn't have found you!! I would have LOVED to see MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice. Wow, that is neat.
    Love,
    Auntie Ann in CA

    ReplyDelete