Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Blog Post 2- Principles of Journalism

Overall I think the news tries their best to tell the truth.  I don't think that journalists can sway too far from the core value that anyone would expect of them.  Not only could journalist lose their jobs for lying about news stories, but it could also leave them vulnerable to law suits from those that they could potentially be lying of.  The general public also seems to do a good job of keeping journalists in check if they are incorrect, or fail to get the story correct.

If journalists are guilty of not being forthwith I think it is more because they intentionally omit details or even whole stories.  Whether it is because certain details do not support their story, or they may hurt someone they support or have a relationship with.  I think journalists and maybe even editors fail to convey all of the facts because it may make their story obsolete, or they may have agendas one way or the other.

I don't think all journalists do this, and I believe most of them try to get the facts straight.  I think journalists get a bad reputation, but they are only given so much information to make a story out of.  I think they try to do their job the best they can because they have no real incentive to lie to the general public.  There are too many watch dogs and access to information that they would be exposed too easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment